⛔ Stop doing software projects. and contribute to Open Source 🤗
I merged a Pull Request to github.com/stanfordnlp/stanza and received career advice + a job referral offer from Standford former from just doing this!
Advantages of OSS contributions vs your own projects
✔️ You can figure out how an existing codebase works.
✔️ You can produce code with quality.
✔️ You know the code contribution’s workflow (issue, pull requests, etc).
✔️ You know about testing and testing suites.
✔️ You know how to install the requirements and build a project (make, conda, pip, etc).
✔️ You know how to work with other people.
• Are Essentials for contributing daily to programmer work.
• Take time to learn (and many companies can’t pay you while you learn them!).
• Are Developed with practice (generally not shown in a programming course).
❌ Tiny or not popular projects will not prove you have them. ❌
Quick contribution guide
STEP 1: Choose an Issue
- working with a library and you found an error? It’s an opportunity to fix it!
- check the issue section of the repositories you are familiar with.
- check the issue directories like goodfirstissue.dev
STEP 2: Create a PR
- fork repo + commit to branch + create the PR
More details: github.com/firstcontributions/first-contributions
Remember to run/create tests if needed, respect the commit/PR naming conventions, and use a linter ✔️
STEP 3: Work until merged
You’re going to get feedback and -possibly- make other commits using it
- Don’t be afraid of doing something wrong!
- Be HUMBLE, NICE, and HELPFUL
- You are contributing to FOSS and people will appreciate that!
More material: www.firsttimersonly.com
Enjoy? find it useful? please spread the voice it can help many to GROW their careers efficiently 📈
If you liked this post / my style follow me.
I will try to keep on posting regularly about SE, Web, ML and DApps always with an objective in mind:
- keep it short
- being meaningful
- explain with examples